Extra write mode to close RAID5 write hole (kind of)

Hi all,

I'm creating an elaborate storage system and using bcache, with great success, to combine SSDs with smallish (500GB) network mounted block devices, with RAID5 in between.

I believe this should allow me to use RAID5 at large scale without high risk of data loss, because I can very quickly rebuild the small number of devices efficiently, across a distributed system.

I am using separate filesystems on each and abstracting their combination at a higher level, and I have redundant copies of their data in different locations (different countries in fact), so even if I lose one it can be recreated efficiently.

I believe this addresses the issue of two devices failing simultaneously, because it would affect an even smaller proportion of the total data than a single failure, which would simply trigger a number of RAID5 rebuilds.

I have high faith in SSD storage, especially given drives' SMART capabilities to report failure well in advance of it happening, so it occurs to me that bcache is going to close the RAID5 write hole for me, assuming certain things.

I am making assumptions about the ordering of writes that RAID5 makes, and will post to the appropriate list about that, with the possibility of another option. However, I also note that bcache "optimises" sequential writes directly to the underlying device:

> Since random IO is what SSDs excel at, there generally won't be much
> benefit to caching large sequential IO. Bcache detects sequential IO
> and skips it; it also keeps a rolling average of the IO sizes per
> task, and as long as the average is above the cutoff it will skip all
> IO from that task - instead of caching the first 512k after every
> seek. Backups and large file copies should thus entirely bypass the
> cache.

Since I want my bcache device to essentially be a "journal", and to close the RAID5 write hole, I would prefer to disable this behaviour.

I propose, therefore, a further write mode, in which data is always written to the cache first, and synced, before it is written to the underlying device. This could be called "journal" perhaps, or something similar.

I am optimistic that this would be a relatively small change to the code, since it only requires to always choose the cache to write data to first. Perhaps the sync behaviour is also more complex, I am not familiar with the internals.

So, does anyone have any idea if this is practical, if it would genuinely close the write hole, or any other thoughts?

I am prepared to write up what I am designing in detail and open source it, I believe it would be a useful method of managing this kind of high scale storage in general.

James