Re: bcachefs: can bcachefs export block devices?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Kent Overstreet wrote:

> > > Yes, all of the existing functionality is still there (though some of it's
> > > broken at the moment because I haven't been running those tests; if you're
> > > interested in using bcache-dev for the old style caching (there are performance
> > > and robustness improvements) it wouldn't take me long to get it working again).
> >
> > I can test that once its working.  Would it use the same bcachefs tools
> > for formatting superblocks?
> >
> > Relatedly, can you point out the best place to abstract cachemeta-v1 vs.
> > cachemeta-v2 for simultaneous use?  Could it be just a bunch of function
> > pointers in the cachedev struct and assignment during initialization for
> > v1/v2?  Have the call arguments changed? What functions would need
> > abstractions (the smallest v1/v2 intersection)?
>
> You mean compile a kernel that supports both old and new on disk format?
>
> Realistically the only way that's going to happen is to completely fork the
> source code, ext2/3/4 style.
> Although that's going to have to happen eventually.

Sure, that makes sense.  At what point would you want to do that rename so
bcache-dev can be pulled into the kernel tree?

> > > The way it works is the first 4096 inode numbers are owned by the block device
> > > interface - inodes in that range are for either cached devices or thin
> > > provisioned volumes. The filesystem code owns inode numbers >= 4096.
> > >
> > > So while blockdev volumes/cached data do have inodes, they're not reachable via
> > > the filesystem because there will never be dirents that point to them (also,
> > > they use a different inode type with extra fields for the UUID/label).
> >
> > Thats a neat implementation.  Would creating a dirent for such an inode
> > expose the block device with the same size and content (and ordering) if
> > if the inode were compatable?  Would the blockdev be block-size aligned
> > versus the file or might the file have an alignment requirement?
>
> What we'd want to do is add an ioctl or something to take a fs inode (a normal
> file, that already has a dirent) and create at runtime a block device for it.

You had mentioned changing on-disk format related to this and NFS support.
Is that coming along too?

> > I'm particularly excited about this as a precursor to snapshot support,
> > especially if udev could help produce something like this:
> >
> >   /dev/disk/by-path/bcache-mydiskfile -> /dev/bcacheN
> >   /dev/disk/by-path/bcache-mydisksnap -> /dev/bcacheN+1
>
> Not sure what you mean by precursor - that would still require essentially the
> entire snapshots implementation. But yes, once we have snapshots we could do
> that too.

Precursor, as in, export an arbitrary file as a blockdev even if snapshots
aren't ready yet.  I can start testing in our testbed once files can be
exported as blocks, whether or not they support snapshots.

Other questions:

Is FIEMAP supported so uncached fils can be read in disk-linear order?
Hmm, I wonder, what does FIEMAP even mean when the file spreads across
multiple disks?  Maybe it doesn't apply here.  Really what I'm looking for
is a way to list which blocks have changed between two snapshots for easy
incremental backups (eg, `btrfs send`).

I'm excited about checksum support.  If an SSD bitflips, will it fail the
whole disk, or just report an error and attempt to re-read from another
volume?

Right now btrfs/zfs is the only viable checksum filesystem with recovery,
and there aren't any viable blockdevice checksumming implementations
(dm-csum didn't take off and the PoC academic example splicing into md
raid isn't really ready either).

--
Eric Wheeler