Re: Fwd: Bcache Status

On 2015-10-11 4:04 PM, Andrew Thrift wrote:
I notice over the past 18 months there have been a number of patches
posted to this mailing list to resolve known issues with bcache.

I cant see that these have been merged into the main bcache git at
http://evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git, is this actually the
case or am I mistaken?

Will these patches ever be seen in mainline ?
Backports of critical bug fixes not being done was brought to attention of Greg KH in September 2014, where Jens and myself mentioned that bcache stable patches (data corruption, stability, etc.) were not being backported to the Linux stable branches. The response from the author of bcache was "This kind of unnecessary hostility is why I don't bother with stable much anymore. I get enough of this bullshit at work, thank you."

Unfortunately, the situation hasn't cahnged. bcache still will eat your data under certain use cases, and there is no warning and bcache still doesn't have a testing/experimental flag set on it. I guess the ultimate answer was "backport and submit a pull request yourself" but I'm not sure this is appropriate.

-Peter