RE: SSD failure modes

> I just wrote some documentation about error handling - tell me if that
> helps:
> http://atlas.evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-
> bcache.git/tree/Documentation/bcache.txt?h=bcache-dev
>
> Not quite sure I get the scenario you're describing though - you unplug
> the SSD, then reboot?

No what I was describing is if the SSD fails completely and as far as Linux is concerned it's just gone. I've seen a few harddisks fail like that just recently (heatwave over here in AU) where the computer seems to be working okay then things just freeze up, and after a reboot there is no harddisk anymore. I haven't used SSD's enough to have seen something like that yet, but if it's a controller failure then it's possible.

I was just wondering how data integrity would fare in such a case. I guess it's the same as if there was a power failure and then you removed the SSD before booting up again, except that I believe bcache can bypass the cache for certain types of streaming writes so there is the potential for things to get out of sync, maybe?

James