Re: Creating a patch against upstream kernel 3.7.4

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:36:41PM +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite a n00b when it comes to the ins and outs of using git...
> My last real project using something like this was when CVS was all
> the rage!
>
> I'm wanting to try to make an automated method to create a single
> patch file for all the changes required against the upstream kernel
> version. This will allow me to easily manage changes until things
> are merged. It will also allow a one-liner in my Xen Dom0 scripting
> to let me patch bcache into the kernel (good!).
>
> Does git have a way to do this?

Yeah. You don't have to deal with actual patches. Just clone one
repository, then add the other as a remote

cd linux-bcache
git remote add linux-stable git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
git fetch --all

git checkout bcache
git merge linux-stable/linux-3.7.y

Later, to get the latest linux-stable changes you can just rerun that
git merge command, but when I update the bcache branch since I always
force update/rewrite history you'll have to reset and start over:

git reset --hard origin/bcache
git merge linux-stable/linux-3.7.y

> I just tried to check out the bcache tree, but I just got:
> $ git clone http://evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/netwiz/linux-bcache/.git/
> error: RPC failed; result=22, HTTP code = 405

Old version of git that doesn't support http redirects - you'll need to
upgrade git, or use
git clone http://atlas.evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git