Re: Just got Android tablet for Christmas

On 12/18/2014 03:09 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Set Hallström <sakrecoer@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sakrecoer@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have a hard time understanding why a tablet need to be approached
    so much differently than computers. Alright, the interface is
    different.... but what else? Can someone explain to me?

in most GUI software the "interface" (mapping between model state, user
input and visual presentation) is the majority of the code. Changing the
interface isn't a detail, it's everything. Tablets have (a) no keyboard

Hmm, yet there are millions of keyboards available for them.

(b) no concept of pointer motion without a drag (c) no concept of hover

That's true of all touch interfaces.

(d) much less screen real estate

Much more mobility.

(e) multitouch (in some cases, at least).

In pretty much every case now.

that is enough of a set of changes that any desktop application
which took advantage of some of the scale of a desktop system will
likely need to be reconceived fairly deeply.

The UI would need to be reconceived. Which it should, since touch screen is a different way of interacting with software. But I'd think a properly-structured application has the UI and backend components properly separated. So the same backend can be controlled via different front ends.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx