Re: Dishonest marketing and the term "Open Source"

On 10/18/2014 12:01 PM, Rob wrote:
Unfortunately, now that McMillen has been funded, there's really no recourse other than suing him. The only angle left that I can think of is that Open Source is a trademark...

What was the implied promise of open-source-ness? The kickstarter does include the words "open source" in the title, but the body of the project description doesn't have much detail about what would be open-sourced. From the tone of indignation I would have expected something much clearer in the kickstarter to hang it on.

IMO the QuNeo (and QuNexus) are pretty innovative, somewhat flawed devices that are really good value for the price. I own both and use them with my own and others' open-source software without problem. The device functionality is easily programmable using well-documented MIDI APIs. It might be nice if the firmware was open-sourced, but the additional value to me would be pretty low. Again, IMO -- I'm sure there are some who find that these devices are useless without modifiable firmware.

Thanks,
Bill Gribble