Re: Resource gains - lightweight Desktop vs KDE, Gnome

On 10/13/2014 12:56 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:

Hi all,

To refine the question a bit;

Older laptops in this case... 1.6ghz - 2.2ghz dual core 64bit
processors and their rough equivalents, running say, current KDE4
Ubuntu like environment, vs flux/blackbox <add ur choice here>, etc.
anyone got any real results?

Atom single core, 1.6Ghz, 1G ram, 32bit... Not much difference from xfce
to lxde/blackbox, that I can tell. Nice thing about xfce stock menu is
that new SW just shows up in the menu... not much of a difference. Unity
and gnome session just don't work well enough to run a browser let alone
audio apps. This may be more video drivers related. KDE is tunable. But
I have found the performance hit with no tuning to be not noticable
really. I can run guitarix at 64/2 (USB AI) 64/3 (internal HDA)
reasonably well. The major problem is memory, 1G is really not enough,
2G makes a difference. I have not added memory though because I don't
use this for audio. I am running xfce and using Jack as the audio
backend with pulse for desktop stuff, bvecause I do try some audio bits
once in a while. So there is a small step from KDE OOTB over xfce, but
unity and gnome session do take a lot more of something that my machine
doesn't have. There are a number of people using a P4 single core to run
more than I do on this.

Like, I want to record at 128/2 ... Can I run a softsynth or Jammin on
top of a few live plugins running simultaneously kind of difference or
... The point I'm subtly pointing toward... Does the lightweight WM or
DT really give me anymore power to do something useful??

Like I say the biggest hit is memory. The WM generally is not the whole
story, xfce WM is not much bigger than xfwm for example, but xfce
generally has a whole pile of extra processes running.

Not many to me, although I am puzzled as to why htop shows there are 63 "/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon" processes running.

Where this is noticable is that i use more than one "workspace". So the
systray WS switcher is pretty imortant.

Why? I switch between workspaces in XFCE using ctrl-F1, ctrl-F2, etc. Much faster than mousing around!

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx