Re: A linux-based FM radio station

KNYO is also available on TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/KNYO-LP-1077-s88414/ , and the TuneIn apps for Android and iOS.

Cool alternative and classic rock programming!

/mel

On 10/07/2014 01:12 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 07:39:21PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 13:48:49 -0700
Ken Restivo <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm happy to report that as of this morning, 100-Watt KNYO-FM in Fort Bragg California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNYO-LP) is running on Linux, Linux Audio and Free Software.

(Well, then again, I can't speak for their website; I didn't set that up, and it looks like an F5 box, dunno what they run. But the actual streaming and broadcast radio signal chain up to the transmitter is Linux.)

The FM transmitter is in a remote location getting its audio program from a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian connected via DSL to a Linode running Airtime and Icecast2 for station automation and streaming. The studio machine is a Linux Mint XFCE box running The BUTT connected via DSL to the Linode and Airtime. I've done a few Liquidsoap customizations to Airtime to fill in missing features (AutoDJ, saving incoming streams, etc) and will be doing more, possibly contributing them upstream if I can keep them clean and general enough.

-ken
Pleased to hear it. Erm, but then again I'm not likely to actually hear the
station in the UK :)

Well it being a 100Watt station in a rural area, it's not likely anyone at all will be able to hear it.

But they do stream live on the internet: http://airtime.knyo.org:8040/128.m3u , and their calendar is here:
http://knyo.org/current-schedule.html  They've got some interesting local content on Friday nights (PST8PDT) and Sunday mornings and afternoons.

-ken