Re: what is jackd "DSP load"? Blinking "RT" indicator?

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, James Harkins wrote:

Fons Adriaensen <fons@...> writes:
Last time I looked at that part of the Jack code it was
the maximum over the last N periods (with N = 1000 or so).
But things could have changed since then.

There must be some averaging going on in there.

If I create a ton of synths in SuperCollider (driving up the DSP load), the
% load takes a few seconds to show the actual load. When I remove those
synths, it again takes a few seconds for the display to fall back to its
baseline level.

In any case, the display is definitely not an instantaneous reading.

There is a balance between instantaneous reading and using cpu that your audio could be using. I am not sure if average or peak is being reported, but it is not suggested to run at 99% anyway. This is just a guide to decide on latency setting and plugin inclusion. The real measure of cpu use is xruns or not. This is just one more tool to help with no xruns.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net