Re: [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 02:21:56PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

You can also try jack. Audacity uses jack in a very weird way, as soon
as you roll audacity autoconnects to the first outputs it finds and
disconnects once you stop rolling,

That's only one of the many apps that claim to support Jack but
get it completely wrong. In many cases, but not always, portaudio
is to blame.

If using jack I recommend mhWaveEdit, the gui is not as nice, but jack works right. It is interesting, that in talking to devs in Audacity, they will answer about anything, but the idea of jack being open from application start gets ignored... not a no we won't do that or it's too hard, just silence. There is a note on one of their pages that says "we welcome feedback on jack implementation" but it is really bogus. The recording part of the app is not properly designed for any audio back end... pulse, windows, OSx, whatever. I think one needs to realize audacity, despite all that has been said, does not do jack. Record somewhere else, then use it to edit.

No doubt someone will reply 'just submit a patch'. That's easier

This is one of those cases where Audacity->pulse->jack and jack->pulse->Audacity is what works best. Really, this is meant to be stand alone and connect direct to ALSA.

if I were to submit a patch to e.g. Audacity, VLC or fldigi that would
really fix the way those broken apps handle Jack, there is zero chance
that it would be accepted, because it would be very invasive.

In my talking with the devs, I would agree.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net