Re: Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey guys!

Recently I've bought a Lenovo IdeaPad B590 laptop. As it is announced as an Ubuntu-certified laptop (here), I did not think twice if buying it and thought that there would hardly be an audio problem - I've used Lenovo laptops before and audio worked very well.

However, I was disappointed. Not only had I to use wired Internet, as wi-fi does not work without installation of proprietary drivers, not only had I to install a later kernel, as video card was freezing the system, but Linux Audio does not work well at all.

I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.8 now.

Here's what has already been done.

1. All real-time priorities and audio group and such standard stuff set up, checked and rechecked by myself and other people at LAC.
2. Autostatic was kind enough to help me turn off bluetooth and webcam, which did seem to help a little bit. His tutorial on this is here.

However, my problems persist.
There are two distinct problems.

Problem 1. Xruns.

Even if nothing is done on the computer and/or with audio, xruns are generated. For instance, since I started writing this letter, JACK was on and right now I have an indicator of xruns in qjackctl which says: 7(13). Note, no audio programs are open at all. If I do nothing, just turn on JACK and leave laptop running, xruns are also generated.

Try disabling wifi in the BIOS/UEFI during boot. This can have dramatic results.