Re: MIDI hardware with Linux

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

On 21 April 2014 at 2:30, <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Did you try a USB<>MIDI connector?

Not yet. I don't own one. If a USB<>MIDI device is the correct way to get MIDI hardware communication to work, then I'll get such a unit. But, I don't want to buy one for troubleshooting, if it's not needed. Is it generally agreed that a USB<>MIDI unit is needed?

Not always -- I now have a RME Multiface II, and the built in Midi port on that works fine in Alsa and Jack Midi. However, before that, I had a Delta 1010, and I was never able to get the built in Midi port to pass data uncorrupted. Others may not have had the same experience, but at least for me, I found that while the Delta 1010 worked fine for audio, the Midi function seems to be broken (driver bug?).

I also have an Edirol 3in/3out USB Midi interface that works great. So in summary, my experiences:

Compliant USB interfaces:	OK
RME Multiface II:		OK
Delta 1010:			Midi doesn't work in Linux

The last time I did this I used a Soundblaster card which had a game/MIDI port and that worked fine to communicate over MIDI. Now I have a Delta 1010 with MIDI ports. But, that's the only MIDI connected within my computer. I haven't been able to get that to work for me. So far, nobody suggested that this shouldn't work, nor how to get it to work, if it's supposed to work.

I've tried SoundBlaster Midi too, and I can say it works in just about any OS...though obviously they don't make very good recording cards.