Re: Anyone used a Firewire-to-USB3 or ESATA adapter?

On 04/16/2014 03:06 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Unfair: There's an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter! I guess that
will be enough to keep Firewire alive in the pro audio world.

Apple owns the patent rights to firewire.  Went thru all the motions of
publishing the specs, waited for it to take off, then decided they needed a
per port royalty fee that was more than the hardware cost.  Firewire
disappeared almost overnight.

I have some firewire stuff, a Sony Digital Hi-8 Handy-Cam.  But when I
built this machine back in 2008, a quad core phenom on an almost $300 ASUS
motherboard, I had to go find a firewire card to put in it before I could
use kino to take in the camera, edit out the worst of my shakes, and make
dvd's out of it for all the parties involved in that wedding (and a couple
more since). So that tells you that as far as the motherboard makers were
concerned, firewire had priced itself out of the market already 6 years
ago.

That they did.

--
David W. Jones