Re: hardware - Intel CPUs

On 04/16/2014 01:33 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

On 04/16/2014 10:51 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
It appears that the USB2 devices have problems with USB3 ports (Like the
1818vsl).

So far I have little issues with my USB2 audio interface (not a 1818VSL)
and the xhci driver. I've come across that thread too and it seems the
issue is specific for the 1818VSL.

It is specific to the Intel Ivy Bridge chipset USB3 implementation. So
if your computer uses a different HW implementation you should be fine.
For example a PCIe card with USB3 ports is ok or a MB that uses
different HW. Intel admits the problem is there but will not fix it and
feels that well written drivers will just ask the USB device for a
resend of the missed packet !!!???  They say that nobody will notice the
missing packet anyway??? I read this to mean "it is in the hardware now
and there is no soft/firmware patch possible." One hopes the 4th gen
chips are better designed. Thats what I am looking to buy. I don't have
a USB2 device to try though.

My laptop has a 4-th gen i7 Haswell chip. My USB 1.1 audio card works fine on any of the USB2 or 3 ports.

My USB2 Canoscan desktop scanner, on the other hand, doesn't work on either variety of port on this laptop. It works just fine on the USB2 ports on my AMD-based desktop machine (Phenom IIx4 processor and AMD chipset).

I found some comments saying the Canon wouldn't work on any USB3 ports, but I also found the closed-source commercial product VueScan which DOES work with the Canoscan on USB3 ports ... I suppose it's all related to the phases of the moon or something.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx