Re: hardware - Intel CPUs

On 04/15/2014 03:17 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, James Mckernon wrote:

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      I would realy like to stay away from having to use a USB or FW
      audio IF. In fact I would like to be able to continue to use my
      delta 66 for as long as I can before I spend more money :)  The

Thanks for the useful info in your post. Just to be clear on this
part: are
you saying you don't want to switch to USB/FW solely because you want to
keep using your delta 66, or because you have some definite preference
for
PCIe over USB/FW devices? If the latter, I wonder why?

USB in audio is limited. Getting clear USB ports interupt wise is not
easy. Audio can not be on a hub or share it's usb with anything else,
but many new MB have no mouse or kb port so the USB is already being
used for that much. The real reason though, is latency. With the pci the
latency can be 1/4 what it can be in USB or FW. That is the lowest
seeting jack for USB or FW is 64/2, but I can run the d66 at 16/2 with
no problem on a well tuned system. This does make a difference for live
work. I know that 64/2 seems like very good latency (it is) but remember
that the card then adds another ms in each direction as well as the
stage distances on top of that. That is the time it takes the sound to
reach my ear after going through the computer as a processor and then
through the air to my ear. Maybe that is still not worth worrying
about... but even with 30 feet of cord and no digital delay, I can hear
the delay from my playing to the sound reaching my ear.

Interesting. What is the difference between speed of sound in air and the speed of electricity through a cable?

I think the lowest I've had my UCA-202 (USB 1.1) card work at was around ~3msec latency (on a USB2 port) with a Debian RT kernel just fooling around (no other RT optimizations on this 2.4GHz i7 laptop). I've had Yoshimi problems when latency gets too low on my stock kernel. And when I first tried Zyn, it had problems at much higher latencies than Yoshimi did at the time.

But I haven't done much music stuff with my new laptop.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx