Re: Filter arrangement - was- Bitwig: what we can learn from it

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

Parallel arrangements have their place, e.g. for multiband
compressors used for mastering. Regarding these you should
be aware that such processing makes nonsense of whatever
careful EQ you have done before. Multiband compression
amounts an EQ that is changing all the time, and you usually
have no idea of what exactly it is doing. If the mixing and
mastering are done by the same person (as they usually are
in our context), everything done in mastering could have
been done better during the mix, e.g. by compressing tracks
instead of the mix.

I have found this out from experience (already)... It didn't take very long :) The good thing is that the project I wrecked with overall changes has enough other defects in it to make it worth while redoing from scratch. I am looking forward to trying out Ardour 3 to do drum tracks from pads (my only choice right now). While I have been playing for a long time, my experience in recording is very recent. The cure is practice. I was quite a fan of midi when all I had was a few tracks of audio (I started on 4 and 8 track) and putting TC on one track allowed me to add lots of other tracks with a sequencer. It was fun, but I was just playing around. I am more serious now, if not truely professional.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net