Re: Bitwig: what we can learn from it

On 03/31/2014 07:26 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:33:02AM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:23:15PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

only for some kind of music.

Bitwig is just a toy compared to for example Csound and Supercollider.

But Csound and Supercollider are not suitable for
making music. They're fine if you're some kind of
autistic savant computer genius, but utterly fucking
useless if you're a musician.
Define musician.

I was going to respond with the simpler "Bullshit!" but since you've dilated my original notion...

Your 'musician' seems to be one for whom everything
has to be prepared before and easy, so the only thing
that remains to be done is some clicking on a screen.
And then think him/herself a musician just as the
kids wasting their time with shoot-and-kill games
imagine they are soldiers.

I'm not so sure it's that simple. Even well-trained classical and jazz musicians display evident prejudice towards certain kinds of music within their own genres. One "jazz" fan loves his Dixieland, another can't do without Sun Ra. The Beethoven freak down the street absolutely despises Schoenberg, while my modernist buddy can't stand to hear Mozart.

De gustibus and all that aside, it's a multi-format world. I get mine through YouTube channels such as pelodelperro, musicaignotus, and the Wellesz Company channels. No Vevo ads near those bad boys ! :)

Your 'musician' is in fact just cannon fodder for
an industry that is about making fast money and little
else.

Again, I think it's a little more complicated. I respect skill and enthusiasm where-ever I can find it these days. I hear great efforts from pop/rock musicians, film score composers, game sound designers, and so forth. Musically it's not often my preferred listening choices but I can set aside prejudice long enough to try to get into the music per se. I'm always learning, and lessons can be found everywhere.

Recently a pop musician friend claimed it was impossible for anyone to know and sing 60 songs a night. I had to remind him that his experience was limited to a few performances a year, not club dates, and certainly nothing like the 6-night-a-week 6-sets-per-night gigs I played in Chicago, two to three weeks at a booking. We were doing ~15 songs per set then, the math puts his assertion to rest.

And about that "quick & efficient" thing : I read an interview with Philippe Leroux in which he mentioned working 20 months on 20 minutes of music. It reminded me of a statement by Morton Feldman where he said he wanted to get to the point where he put in the exact amount of time the music required, maybe only for 5 minutes one day and for 20 hours the next. Sometimes we can move so quickly we don't see the surround at all, and it can matter.

EP: "To the man with something to say no vers is libre enough."

Ciao,

Always good to read your messages, Fons.

Ciao ciao,

dp