Re: OT: android for the linux user ...was: legacy equipment for a user who does not "program"

On 03/18/2014 04:10 PM, Rob wrote:

sftp and shell both work over wifi, but neither work over the cell network.
I thought it was due to the ipv6 thing, but today I have an ipv4 address
and still can't connect -- and whatismyip.com tells me I have a different
address, suggesting that my carrier has me behind a proxy. (That IP address
doesn't work, either.) But the stock shell, as you observed, is not that
useful, especially without root. So, even on wifi, I pretty much only use
it for sftp.

Most providers disallow public access to GPRS equipment for security reasons, unless you really want it. You can ask your provider for an APN that will give you a public IP.

/ Hans