Re: How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

On 02/06/2014 06:56 PM, Rick Green wrote:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

I always thought it was because a) low frequencies are hard to
localise, so panning them wildly left and right won't really do much...

Many home sound systems today simply sum the bass energy from both
channels into a single subwoofer anyway.  It doesn't matter where in the
room the subwoofer is located, because our ears are too close together
to detect a phase difference at those frequencies.

I think our home stereo is up so that the amplifier's speaker output goes to the subwoofer, then the subwoofer splits the output to each stereo speaker while filtering the highs out of the subwoofer signal and the lows out of the speaker outputs. Our receiver doesn't have a separate subwoofer output like newer ones do, I guess.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx