Re: options for hard real time kernel for raring 13.04

On 11/09/13 10:50, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
2013/9/11 Marco Donnarumma <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hey all,

I just switched to Mint Olivia 15 (based on Ubuntu Raring 13.04). I use quite cpu-intensive puredata patches with processing of 2 live audio inputs on a firewire soundcard through ffado and qjackctl (jack2).

Although my machine runs a low-latency kernel and it has been configured for pro audio (I use the realtimeConfigurationScan script), I still get xruns and sometimes qjackctl randomly hangs up making the sound to stop completely.

Before, I used to work with ubuntu 10.04 and rt-kernel without a itch. Is anybody still using a rt-kernel with the latest Mint or Ubuntu, or just refining settings etc..?

if a rt-kernel is the best option, should I patch mine, since it looks like there are no packaged rt-kernels for Raring?
Can't access Abogani ppa, and KXS kernels are available up to Precise.

thanks in advance for any hint, or suggestions about what to try!
best wishes
Hi Marco,

I recompiled a real time kernel for 13.04 following the system configuration guide (in this case the italian translation that reports "3.2.35-rt52").
http://linuxaudio.it/index.php/Configurazione_di_sistemi_audio_GNU/Linux#Compilare_il_tuo_real-time_kernel

I'm using an hp pavilion 6 laptop with the ua-25 ex soundcard and with this particular real time Kernel everything works fine.
1 xrun discovered at 5,8 ms latency in 3 hours session, recording and mixing with Ardour.

Best regards
Nicola

compiling a RT kernel is quite straightforward, BTW you can install a debian rt kernel: http://packages.debian.org/jessie/linux-image-rt-amd64

/r