Re: RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

On Fri, 17 May 2013 23:08:29 +0200, Fons Adriaensen <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you measure anything else then either your measurement is bogus
or the equipment you're testing is broken.

Sorry I can't resist, isn't is possible, that my measurements are bogus and that my equipment is broken?

Seriously, I just watched the meters of TotalMix and didn't measure anything, but at least I did connect a device to the inputs ;).

I guess I should have used another choice of words.

For the RME card I own, higher sample rates don't result in lower latency. If I increase the latency, low frames/period disappear and just higher frames/period can be chosen (on Windows, on Linux I can't get higher than 48 KHz, since it doesn't work, seemingly a driver issue).

Somebody else pointed out that even 192 KHz don't provide to sample ultrasonic, so it can't be used for bat research, e.g. to find out different dialects of the same kind of bat in different areas.

If I chose higher sample rates > 96 KHz, I can see double the noise shown by TotalMix, than with sample rates <= 96 KHz, I wasn't able to hear a difference.

If this should be the same for other cards too, no lower latency and no ultrasonic (for bats between 15 and 100 KHz regarding to the Internet, I should know this without Google, since a former girlfriend did bat research, but I needed to google), than the OP perhaps could use 48 KHz for his needs.

I guess most of us agree, that if the gear is ok, 48 KHz are all that is needed for audio production, music and speech.