Re: Fwd: Re: Raspberry Pi and real-time, low-latency audio

[...]

A few steps ahead more.

I red again the wiki and got to start Jack with the onboard soundcard
just as it says: jackd -d dummy.

Hello Carlos,

JACK should now work with the onboard audio if you're using the latest kernel and firmware updates.

Then I tried to start jack with the UA25EX. I pluged the usb/power
cable to a laptop this time, instead of using the mobile usb charger
as before, and RPi doesn't reboot. Great.

You really need an adapter that does at least 2A. Using your laptop to power a RPi and an USB audio interface most likely won't work.

Now I tried to start jack on RPi through Qjackctl on the laptop with
ssh -X. Jack crashed every time. I tried on RPi itself and same thing.
Then I checked jack log, ps -A and realized that pulseaudio was
running and jack couldn't have access to the device. I made a quick
search and then I made two things:

1) created a config file to prevent pulseaudio to restart every time
It is killed: ~/.pulse/client.conf with "autospawn=no" inside.

2) kill pulseaudio with "pulseaudio -k" when I run jack, and
configured same thing on Qjackctl preferences to execute it before
starting jack.

Afaik PulseAudio is not installed by default on the Raspbian image so I've never encountered this issue myself.

So now I have an RPi that can start jack using UA.
But now there is the next problem: jack starts ok but when I try to
connect any program (sooperlooper i.e.) or just system-in to
system-out ports the driver crashes (that what messages say), lights
on UA switch off and, oddly enough, jack still running.

That's it for the moment.

I've had the same issue. As you describe later you have to switch the USB controller to USB 1.1 mode and disable Advanced mode on the UA-25.

[...]

One step more, this time with success.
Given the situation mentioned before I tried to step back a little.

First, I tried only to run jack using jackstart script again. A few
tweaks and could make jack to work, but sound had glitches and
crackles whatever config I tried.

Second, I stepped back a little more.
I executed again Ampbrownie setup.sh with option 2 (update and install
additional packages). During this it changed jackd2 to jack1
uninstalling it. This could be installed before as a dependence of
some of the apps I installed in addition to those that setup.sh script
install (maybe sooperlooper or rakarrack, not sure).
Then, I noticed during rebooting that USB is only 1.1, so I changed
the hardware switch on the back of the UA from advanced driver to
normal.

One more reboot and... Voila! Sounds was almost perfect and delay
acceptable, practically RT, connecting in to out and using Rakarrack
with some basic effects.

The AmpBrownie script definitely needs some more refining. I've forked it in my GitHub (https://github.com/AutoStatic/ampbrownie) to make the necessary adjustments so Adam of AmpBrownie can merge them back again.

Don't know if this success is due to some newer versions it appears to
have been updated on repos that are newer than those installed on
first run of setup.sh, or maybe some of the modifications mentioned
flicked the switch.

It's because of the controller switched to USB1.1 mode and your UA-25 running in non-advanced mode. And Jack1 also plays a role, from my experience it runs better than Jack2 on the RPi.

I made a backup with dd, of course, and I'm moving towards setting up
RPi as a Jam/Improv/Live headless station: boot an then run Rackarrack
as a multifx connected to Sooperlooper/Freewheeling as a looper, using
an external audio card and a MIDI-USB pedalboard. And then improving
step by step until reaching the limit on RPi processing and
overclocking.

Maybe this could be helpful:
https://github.com/AutoStatic/scripts/tree/rpi/rpi
https://github.com/AutoStatic/configs/tree/rpi/rpi

In the future I have more plans in mind, but for now that's it.

BTW, I managed to connect a second usb device without RPi rebooting
because of problems with power with two USB power adapters.
So now I have:
- 1 USB power adapter to the RPi,
- 1 USB stick for the system partition on USB port1,

So you're running from an USB stick? I've tried this when testing a RT kernel but performance was horrible. But maybe this was because of the RT kernel.

- 1 4 USB hub on USB port 2 (where external audio card and MIDI-USB
pedalboard is connected)
- 1 USB power adapter to the second mini-USB port on the MIDI-USB
pedalboard that helps to feed it and to stable the overall setup.

I think both USB power adapters are mobile adapters, I think 0,7A and
0,5A, so maybe with just one USB power adapter at 2A for the RPi I
could connect all this and a qwerty keyboard and something else, which
now I can't. That or just a powered USB hub, but that is more
expensive.

I'm using a powered hub with a 3.7A adapter which is more than enough. I bought this hub for €3, wouldn't call that expensive ;)

Regards,

Jeremy

Hope it helps.
Thanks all and Regards.