[OT perhaps?] kernel options relating to access rights

Hello all!
I've recently compiled a new kernel and since then my "alarm clock", doesn't work anymore. My alarm clock is mplayer started by cron. I know, I once had that issue before, but beat me, if I know, what I've changed since then. My mplayer uses JACK by default and the system it's running on, still runs JACK and mplayer from a root account normally. I'd much rather not reconfigure that. So any idea, whichkernel option might have stopped my mplayer from being triggered by cron?
  Thanks for any advise.
  Kindly yours
       Julien