Re: Terrible mic ground noise

Le 31-03-2013 11:02, Len Ovens a écrit :

Where does the mic get its power from? The M-Audio pulsar is a phantom powered mic, the passive DI does not supply power and also would block
power from going through. The 1010lt does not mention sending phantom
power... does the mic have a battery? (the user guide says it requires
phantom power, so no battery)

From what you have said above and from looking up the HW you are using, you should not be getting any audio through the mic at all. So if you turn
the gain up high enough you might get hum.

That must be the problem then. The higher the volume, the higher the 'ground' noise.

   The electric plug has only two prongs.  I though of getting some

What electric plug?

The one to which the computer stuff is connected. The house plug. Which is not a plug, but a box. That one does not have a ground wire as others do. The two-AC plastic socket unit has no ground wire.

However, assuming you have just described your setup incorrectly... and
there is a phantom power box and not a DI.

Thanks for the information ! Indeed the problem now is that the Pulsar has no power. I shoudl start there. I've been using it for a long time like that ! ;-)) (or should it be: :-(() Was having fun though making music, but the noise was annoying.

Obviously I know nothing about those phantom power units. Which one would you recommend ? Will it simply be in the XLR path: mic -> power -> 1010LT ?

Also, now the passive DI box can be put to some other use. Would it accept the 1/4" output of a small VOX guitar amplifier ? What would be the difference in sound characteristics between using a DI box to the 1010LT 2nd XLR input vs. not using one and connecting the same VOX output to a regular 10101LT input ?