Re: Kazam screencast [WAS: LightWorks for Linux Demo]

On 03/23/2013 05:17 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Fri, March 22, 2013 10:51 pm, david wrote:

Need to correct a miscommunication (my fault). I don't use Ubuntu system
repositories. I use some specific Ubuntu PPAs for particular package(s)
that don't have a Debian package (for whatever reason). (Some people
seem to think that Linux is just a synonym for Ubuntu. So I'm not
risking mixing Ubuntu-specific stuff mentioned above with Debian Sid.

I think what I wrote was not so much directed at you so much as the newer
user reading this stuff.

Doesn't fit me. I was cleaning out accumulated books, and found my old CorelLinux books ...

As someone who tries to help people fix things
after the fact, I have seen some interesting installations where jack goes
away or something.

I think a number of the easy-start/easy-use, ordinary desktop-oriented distros don't even include JACK. My wife runs LinuxMint on her laptop and Ubuntu on her netbook - no trace of JACK on either. I think Ubuntu is built around Pulse, anyway. I don't think Debian comes with JACK setup, either.

My laptop and desktop machines run Aptosid - neither comes with JACK installed by default. My effectsbox laptop runs Musix 3, that has JACK nicely set up. When my present laptop finally dies (it's heading that direction!), I'll shift the memory over to effectsbox and it will finally have enough to be useful. (Hard to run RT with a GUI and fluidsynth and Yoshimi on a 2.8GHz old-school Celeron with 768MB of memory.)

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx