Re: Kazam screencast [WAS: LightWorks for Linux Demo]

On 03/21/2013 10:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 22:31 -1000, david wrote:
Hmmm, I use Debian Sid and use some Ubuntu PPAs with it. I've used
Debian packages on Ubuntu. Didn't have compatibility problems. But
probably wasn't doing anything ambitious.

This can work and it can course serious issues. Sure, even if the
filesystem hierarchy should differ, libs will be found after a ldconfig
and perhaps there aren't that many differences between init and upstart,
but it's likely that packages will conflict, something that already can
happen when using third party repositories build for your distro, Ubuntu
or Debian.

I mostly use it with Debian and a couple of PPAs, but not for any nominally-Ubuntu software. I use PPAs for packages I want to use that don't have DEBs or RPMs.

No package conflicts because if a package exists in a Debian repository and in Ubuntu, I use the Debian version.

Only Ubuntu system we have here is my wife's netbook. She has no need to look outside the Ubuntu repositories for any software.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx