Re: External USB 2 HD for real-time recording

On 09/03/13 17:44, Robin Gareus wrote:
>If it's designed to spin down it's probably also designed to be able to
>handle that.
Don't count on it. Joern recently told me about his experience with
similar "Green" WD drives where the drive died for him after a few month
of continued use. He mentioned something about a special windows driver
that controls the spin up/down cycles for WD drives, but I did not
bother to inquire the details.

My experience with WD Green drives has also been bad. I bought them for home server use as they are quieter and use less power, but both drives in my RAID array failed within 18 months. I've now replaced them with conventional 7200rpm drives.

Jonathan