Re: Audio distros

On 02/16/2013 08:35 PM, Simon Wise wrote:
On 17/02/13 05:24, david wrote:

The way to handle updates on Sid: start with Aptosid. Update only
those apps
that you find you need to update. I use Rosegarden, and it had some
bug fixes
that addressed issues I had with it, and Debian Stable was never going
to get
the fixes. (Neither did backports, as far as I know, but when I was using
Stable, I found backports pretty useless.)

I've used aptosid's ancestors that way since that same team made
kannotix back when etch was sid ... but it seems that they may have
gotten tired of it or something ... only one new release last year and
very little other visible activity ... one of the core team (there are
about a dozen that have been doing it together since 2006) has set up
different version, but unfortunately it does not seem nearly so
rigorous, even if it seems a lot more open, friendly and perhaps more
active. So not sure about the future of that option. It has been a great
not-really-a-distribution for a long time.

Aptosid's team has been through a lot of struggle, recuperating from the conflict with their former treasurer or something like that. They did some updates in January 2013, including VirtualBox (that's where I get it) so they're not completely dead.

FWIW, I'm running Sid on my two main systems (desktop and laptop). I
also have
deb-multimedia in the repository collection, along with a couple of
PPAs such as
one for the real cdrecord.

The deb-multimedia stuff is much less needed than it was a few years
ago, and it can certainly bite you with incompatibilities ... esp on
sid, their libraries are not always binary compatible but they will be
the ones installed on your system (if you don't pin stuff or actively
manage what gets brought in from the repository). They version them as
more recent than the debian ones for this reason, but unfortunately the
other debian audio apps that they don't package sometimes get broken by
this, since they are built against the debian libraries.

Hmm, last time I checked, none of the deb-multimedia versions were set to be more recent than the Sid ones. They're also not automatically upgradeable, apparently. At least, last time I did a system upgrade (not dist-upgrade) it didn't upgrade any of the deb-multimedia packages, even though some of them had been upgraded by deb-multimedia. At least I have to manually upgrade one if I want to.

I mostly use it for the win32 codecs, AACS keys, easytag, mplayer.

Of course without something from outside you will be missing some things
that debian still finds un-redistributable (even after relaxing their
approach on software patents and allowing a lot more codecs in).
Probably best to just fetch a couple of apps from the repository and
install them directly rather than enable the whole repository.

I don't always agree with Debian's personal idiocies, such as their hatred of cdrecord. I replaced wodim with cdrecord, and was surprised to find out that CD burning WORKED ON MY LAPTOP AGAIN. Wodim had been failing with "hardware" errors for a few years before that.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx