Re: So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

On 02/07/2013 05:06 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
On Thursday 07 February 2013 00:17:37 david wrote:
Hmm, does commenting on the Internet Archive require registering for yet
another user login?

I think this is one of the big issues why much commenting and feedback does
not happen.

It does provide a small additional barrier. But it's probably not a big issue.

I suspect in the case of musicians and other artist-types - they're too busy creating their own things to provide any feedback about the tools they use. Someone painting a picture in oils probably never gives any specific feedback to the company that made a brush they're using. The most the company might get is indirect feedback: artist doesn't like the brush, artist doesn't buy that brush again.

Now imagine that artist is supposed to give the brush manufacturer detailed feedback: the bristles didn't spread out evenly when painting with it, so the paint on one part of the brush went on thicker than another part. I kind of doubt any artist would report that degree of feedback to the manufacturer.

How does that connect with software? Software is much more complex than a paintbrush, can have many more things go wrong with it. Reporting that kind of detail for software is kind of necessary if the developer is going to fix the problem. I doubt that the majority of users go to that degree of detail unless it's a showstopper for them. And they may not have the time for the developer to identify the problem, fix it, and for the user to test the fix: They've got to have this recording session done.

One thing programs could do is keep logs. An error log could be usable to at least start figuring out what went wrong.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx