Re: So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

On 02/06/2013 11:34 AM, Louis Gorenfeld wrote:

- Make Linux friendlier for closed-source/commercial devs: Open source
is great; don't get me wrong! But music software and DSP are
specialized areas and DAW and associated software is incredibly
complex. I think for Linux to really succeed in this arena, it will
have to attract commercial development. Easier said than done, I know.

Sorry, I disagree with that. I use a closed-source, commercial Linux photo processing application all the time. Commercial software vendors can certainly sell software in the Linux world.

I think the problem is that the number of apparent Linux pro audio users is barely a bump in the Linux-using market, and not even above the statistical noise level in the big pool of computer users. Further remove from the pool of potential Linux customers those who for whatever reason will not purchase commercial closed-source software (and will probably spew floods of vitriol at the very thought of commercial closed-source Linux software!). Porting their application to Linux, testing, debugging, doing customer support - all cost money that they (rightly or wrongly) see no chance of recouping. So why should they do a Linux version, anyway?

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx