Re: Studies says musicians derive only 6% of their income from sales

On 01/23/2013 09:31 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 14:09:30 david wrote:
On 01/22/2013 09:25 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
On Tuesday 22 January 2013 14:17:30 david wrote:
http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/international-news/250321/study-reveals-
mus icians-only-derive-6-of-their-income-from-music-sales.htm

Does it say what percentage they derive from music?

What do you mean by "music"?

Music.

The Figure 2 graph in the article shows how much the various income
sources contribute.

The figure seems to be a breakdown of their music income. Surely musicians
have other sources of income. Non-musician music related jobs. Non-music
related jobs. Income from investments. Teaching non-music subjects (assuming
the teaching in the figure is teachin music, not clear.)

I hang out with a band that I figure makes the majority of their income from
non-music related day jobs and / or businesses and a small percentage from
their music earning efforts. How many other musicians are there in a similar
boat? Did this study even try to study them?

I don't believe so. I believe the study focused on musicians who made the majority of their money from music, not other work (unless the "Other" category includes that). It looks like it splits out the different sources of music related information. It may also have focused solely on that, not any non-music income sources.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx