Re: debugging conflicts Pulseaudio/Jack

On 01/18/2013 01:00 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

On Fri, January 18, 2013 10:47 am, Federico Bruni wrote:
Hi

I've chosen the option 3 (route PulseAudio to JACK while JACK is
running) of this guide:
http://jackaudio.org/pulseaudio_and_jack

BTW, http://trac.jackaudio.org/ is down since yesterday.

It used to work fine in the past but I'm having an issue just after
using Stretchplayer (and therefore jack).
I'm on Debian testing (Gnome 3.4.2). I can't see anymore the audio
applet. In Settings»Audio I see that there's no output device.
The applications that are trying to use Pulseaudio are listed but of
course no sound is produced.

jackd is not running.
pulseaudio-module-jack is installed and my ~/.pulse/default.pa contains
the following lines:

load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
load-module module-jack-source channels=2
load-module module-null-sink
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-always-sink
load-module module-suspend-on-idle
set-default-sink jack_out
set-default-source jack_in

How can I debug this problem?
Thanks in advance

There is a bug in Pulseaudio that is stopping pa from releasing the audio
device.

The temporary solution until it is fixed and released is to disable
autospawn and restart pa.

edit ~/.pulse/client.conf

add

     autospawn = no

restart pulse with

     pulseaudio -k
     pulseaudio -D

or maybe with

     pasuspender -- jackd

If that fails you may need to completely kill pulse or just restart the
machine to get it to release the audio device. Once you have disabled
autospawn it should only need to be done once and only if you have already
been using pulse to listen to a some audio.

We have noticed a problem with audio reservation in Fedora. Ian has has some success with this patch (as have I) but I'm at a loss to understand why, it just seems to work...

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2013-January/015853.html