Re: Synths for live use

On 11/22/2012 12:18 PM, James Stone wrote:
3) amsynth - works very nicely, but maybe not able to create the pad
sounds etc. that I need.

Check here for extra banks that contain some very interesting and usable sounds: http://forum.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9982&p=31975#p31807

4) Carla - too fiddly (for me) for live use.

Now, here's what I seem to have come down on. Amazingly all these run
on this little computer at the same time, and are capable of full
polyphony with no major xrun issues (1024 samples on jackd - might be
possible to reduce this further, but it is perfectly usable for a midi
keyboard):

1) setBfree - lovely!
2) yoshimi - amazing!

You should try latest git, it contains some optimizations that lower CPU usage drastically: https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/2769495/+listing-archive-extra

The main issue I have at present is with yoshimi - i would like to
change program (and ideally bank) using the midi controller, but this
doesn't seem to work with the 1.0 version from kxstudio. Is this not
possible with yoshimi at present, or is there a development version I
could use?

Switching banks via MIDI is in the experimental 0.062 branch, not in the stable 1.0 branch. If you'd like to see it in the stable branch please add a feature request here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=295223&atid=1246615 This functionality has been proposed several times so it should deserve some more attention.

Regards,

Jeremy

James