Re: Any Linux distro with Jack and Pulseaudio working right?

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, October 28, 2012 1:18 pm, Brett McCoy wrote:
> Jack & PA work together fine under UbuntuStudio 12.04, using the jack
> plugin for PA. You can use Gnome or any other interface for it (I use
> xfce myself), they are independent of whatever desktop environment you
> use. Nothing is going to stop a user from killing either Jack or PA,
> though, as these are not typically run as root for a user session.

No they are not run as root normally. Pulse can be but I am not sure about
jack... or rather I am not sure what problems would be encountered.
Running pulse as system is not recommended unless more than one user may
be logged in at once that will both need sound (two x-sessions) because
there is a loss of useability (some features go away).

There are some things that could happen to pulse that would make it work a
lot better with Jack... when pulse finds out jack is taking away one of
it's hardware ports, it would be really nice if pulse transferred all it's
settings for that port to the jack sink/source ports.

i am not sure that the d-bus based reservation scheme identifies who is asking to take control. i could be wrong.