Re: [ot] Data recovery

Hello, Julien. And sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, I suffered something similar with an HD some years ago and today I still have a list of files with strange names to check, sort and rename properly. But at least I recovered a lot of them (don't know if all).

So I tell you that I did recover things with some non-FLOSS software somebody recommended me then, I had no time to do a proper search for FLOSS alternatives.

I concur with what Robin said: don't write or mount read only. Very important.

Just in case, I add to what have been said some tools you can use now that, at first, could be better for you as they can be used not so GUI-driven and are Linux based:

LiveCDs:

* SystemRescueCd: live Linux rescue CD that offers numerous tools to handle numerous tasks, including partition manipulation, file recovery, hard disk testing, ftp, and disk formatting.

* Knoppix and F-Secure Rescue CD (based on Knoppix)

* Parted Magic

* Ubuntu Rescue Remix another live Linux CD tools

I remember people recommended me mainly SystemRecueCD, F-Secure and PartedMagic

Other:

* Ddrescue and Safecopy are tools that allow tasks related to copying disks with errors and such

Tons of luck, Julien.