Re: [ot] Data recovery

Hi Julien

Sorry to hear that.

I had a RAID failure earlier in the year and had to buy a 1TB USB HDD to back up my entire /home from the remaining two drives, then reformat the RAID and copy everything back from the external drive. After building the RAID again, at one point I thought I'd accidentally deleted everything from the external drive, losing six years' music, photos, everything. Fortunately I hadn't, I'd just confused myself, but it was a horrible sinking feeling like nothing I've ever felt before. Yours won't be as bad, but still very frustrating and annoying, so I sympathise.

Sorry, I can't actually help with the recovery, but just advice from personal experience. I used to back-up by copying Ardour project folders, which at many, many GBs a time just for changes to the Ardour file was really insane (and why I'd almost run out of space).

Here's the advice: get yourself an external drive -- large ones are pretty cheap these days -- and use something like rsync to do incremental back-ups and get into the habit of backing up every day after you've been recording or mixing. I use luckyBackup which is a nice GUI frontend for rsync and it's very powerful.

Best of luck with the recovery