Re: keeping same perceived level on mp3 files

Hallo!

Do you just want to adjust the loudness between multiple files?
(this means there is just a constant gain for every file so the they
are similar on average)
Or do you also want to change the loudness inside one track?

Not sure what you mean. I don't to change the internal volume of each
track. Basically I just want to avoid that when I program the levels of
the patches on my hardware synth, I later (on stage or rehearsing with
the band) realize that on some songs my synth is too loud and on some
songs it's to soft.

I meant, if you have longer files with a high loudness range, maybe you should also adjust the loudness of different regions within your file - but I guess it's not the case ... ;)

I tried it on a couple of files:

atte@blokhus:~/music/bands/eldorado/mp3$ ls *.wav | xargs -iarg ebur128 arg
Integrated loudness:     13.7 LU
Loudness range:           3.8 LU
Integrated loudness:     13.0 LU
Loudness range:           2.2 LU
Integrated loudness:      6.0 LU
Loudness range:           3.6 LU
Integrated loudness:     10.8 LU
Loudness range:           4.5 LU
Integrated loudness:     12.9 LU
Loudness range:           3.2 LU

Ok, so it seems the third file is softer than the rest, which is very
true. But how do I interpret those values, and how do I call sox for a
gain adjustment?

That's great - now you only have to bring all your files to the same loudness!
For example, let's say you want all files to be at 13 LU.
You can apply a simple gain on all files:
-0.7 dB for the first file (13.7LU), 0dB for the second, +7dB for the third (6LU) and so on ...

I think you can do that with sox - and maybe it's also good to use an additional limiter (at -1dBFS or lower), to avoid clipping!
AFAIK sox has the compad effect, which can do that ...

Have a nice weekend,
LG
Georg

--
auphonic - automatic audio post production
http://auphonic.com