Re: Any DI boxes that do this?

On 08/26/2012 02:24 AM, david wrote:
Thanks, Simon and Harry. I sent the message off, then a while later
thought, "Bet I'll just have to combine the stereo to a mono and put
that into a standard DI."

I'd love to use 2 XLRs, but we don't have enough channels on our snake
anymore (combination of some added singers and one non-working line in
the snake).

One way that comes to mind is to convert the stereo signal to digital and send the digital signal over the balanced pair. This might be an overly-complex approach -- so it depends on how much you /really/ want to preserve the stereo signal. :-)

One chain I can think of is:

Analog[Stereo] --> S/PDIF(unbalanced) --> AES(balanced XLR)
    --> S/PDIF(unbalanced) --> Analog[Stereo]

There's several $40 devices out ther for the analog/spdif conversion. The spdif to AES conversion could probably be done with a couple of Hosa CDL-313 boxes (about $80). (But I'm new to SPDIF and AES so I might be missing something.)

A cheaper way that *might* work to send S/PDIF over XLR is to run the S/PDIF signal through a couple DI's. Since the S/PDIF signal is pretty resistant to noise -- I think this is pretty likely to work.

-gabriel