Re: Study Finds New Pop Music Does All Sound the Same.

On 08/06/2012 03:44 AM, Charles Henry wrote:
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf<ralf.mardorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:32:41 +0200, david<gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Of course, this is compounded by the way at least the American education
used to put a lot of effort into discouraging students from singing or
playing music ...

*chuckle*

As I explained in my previous mails, discouraging children to become
creative already starts on German elementary schools.
They teach them to use the left brain, instead of the right brain and they
don't shy away from teaching dyslexics how to read by that ugly left brain
thinking too. I wonder that they don't beat left-handers anymore. I suspect
they don't understand what already seems to be known since the 80s, about
how the brain seems to work. They have tons of affirmative action to teach
the children arts, to teach dyslexics reading etc., but this seldom is done
by artists, experts, it's done by social workers who miss to join their own
psychotherapy.

Regards,
Ralf

I nearly take offense to this.  You don't know what you're talking
about vis a vis psychology.  There's plenty of good research in
education going on right now (I can't say what goes on in Germany
though).  Left vs Right brain dichotomies are a wrong understanding of
creative and analytical thinking.  There's a bigger picture that this
all fits into, and you're missing a lot of it.

I think that most kids aren't interested in music.  It's exceptional
for one of them to want to play music at a young age anyway.

If you've seen a classroom full of elementary school kids doing music, they're having a blast and really enjoy it. The basic neural processing that underlies music (pitch recognition and rhythm) is the same processing that underlies the ability to learn languages.

Their enjoyment of it is what leads education systems to squash it. They enjoy it too much, they won't move on to other things the system wants to teach them ... they also become loud and excited, which the system sees as unruly and disobedient ...

No, young children love music until they're taught NOT to love it. Until they're taught that they can't really make music unless they have "the gift" (that destructive myth of the Romantic movement that only those "touched by the gods" can do art). Making music is a skill, not some mysterious "gift" that only a few have.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx