Re: strange behaviour with novation launchpad

On 2012-07-12 23:02, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

That is because the LP sends MIDI using running status, and there
is no way to reset it (i.e. force a status byte on the next message),
except a power cycle. The top row uses controller events while the
rest uses key up/down. After re-opening the device the driver code
needs a status byte, and usually using the top row will provide one
(assuming the last event in the previous session was a key one).

Ok, thanks, that sounds like a sane explanation. However it surprises me a bit (maybe it shouldn't), since I read this in the "Launchpad programmers reference" (pdf released by novation http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/zJMvGWWVN-T4_9ocxl0S-99M-z5_0iKUygahuvyL2lc/mtime:1340816776/sites/default/files/downloads/4080/launchpad-programmers-reference2.pdf):

"Hence a Launchpad MIDI message is always three bytes long. (For good reasons, the driver does
not support running status.)"

Is there anyway to get a status byte to the driver/launchpad from my code, so I don't have to rely on presses after opening a new batch of chuck code? Could I for instance emulate "unplug" and "plug in" the launchpad or it's driver from code?

I've been using the launcpad a bit with renoise, esp the duplex tool, and somehow the launchpad works perfectly normal there, so something tells me there is a way.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk