Re: FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

On 06/15/2012 10:23 AM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

Firewire has always been rarer hardware.

Probably so, but both my older mobos support it, my older laptop had it, and my (relatively) newer laptop does not. It has ports aplenty - USB, HDMI, multiformat card slot, etc - but no Firewire. Nothing I looked at had Firewire it when I bought the laptop, and I did specifically look for it.

USB3 has provided an alternative but really it isn't that cause of FW's disappearance, at least in as far as audio/video hardware etc. is concerned. PCI-E on the desktop and Thunderbolt surprisingly seems to be doing a better job of that with product announcements lately.

Thanks, Thomas, I'll check out activity on those developments. Have Linux-compatible audio/video devices appeared for PCI-E and Thunderbolt ?

Best,

dp