Re: FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Excellent article/interviews. However, it ignores a rather salient development - the gradual disappearance of Firewire from desktop and laptop machines. The last time I shopped I was surprised to see that FW, like PCI, is becoming rare hardware, presumably due to improved performance from USB3 (?).

Firewire has always been rarer hardware.   USB3 has provided an alternative but really it isn't that cause of FW's disappearance, at least in as far as audio/video hardware etc. is concerned.  PCI-E on the desktop and Thunderbolt surprisingly seems to be doing a better job of that with product announcements lately.

             Seablade