Re: Track Cue List, "Red Book" CD Mastering, and CD burning

On 18/05/12 4:01 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
Hi all,

I need to master an audio CD of a live concert.  I'm doing the
mixing in Ardour, and that's going just fine.  But, I have
questions for some upcoming steps.

   - In the export section of Ardour (I'm using 2.8) I've seen
     stuff about exporting CD markers, or something to that
     effect.  How is that used?

   - I need to burn a CD that's got song markers, but no gaps
     because that sounds strange (to me) in a live show.  Is
     that controlled by Ardour, or the burning program, or
     both?  How?

   - What Linux CD burning program(s) can make use of the CD cue
     info exported by Ardour?

   - I need to make my master CD conform to "Red Book" standard.
     What Linux CD burning program(s) will do that?  One thing I'm
     told about "Red Book" standard, for instance, is that track
     one starts at -2.0 seconds, with the audio beginning at 0.0
     seconds.

The basic steps involved in the above are:

* create a new Ardour session and import the mixed-down versions of each of the tracks you want on the CD * arrange your imported tracks in to whatever order you want, with whatever gaps etc. you want between them * add CD track markers at the start of each of your imported tracks on the timeline (including track 1) * export the entire session as a single WAV file with accompanying TOC or CUE file
* use "cdrdao" to burn the WAV to disc, using the TOC/CUE file

As far as conforming to Red Book goes, the advice I've seen is to leave at least two seconds of blank audio before track 1; that is, before the first track marker that you place on the timeline.

When I did this recently, I used this as my guide:

http://ardour.org/files/manual/ch-exporting.html

and wrote up some of my own notes about it here:

http://wootangent.net/2012/03/rpm-2012-post-mortem-track-order-making-the-cd/

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Leigh