Re: NoiseMaker LV2 port

On 13/10/11 11:47 PM, allcoms wrote:
Thanks for pointing out your guide Leigh - I'd not seen that. I think
I'll have to have another go with LS to triple check it still irritates
the hell out of me for at least the following reasons:

1 - Its not in the repos of most distros due to licensing probs

2 - Its a bitch to compile

Can't really disagree with either of those :) I do wish it was easier to install -- I hope some good unofficial repositories show up once there's a new stable release out.

3 - I never got qsampler to work

I've never had much luck with it either, though apparently the version in svn now works better, and has some SFZ support.

4 - Fantasia is a horribly slow, bloated java app - yuck!

It is a bit slow, but I rarely have to run it these days. I used to have to run it once a session, just to reload my saved sampler setup. Now I don't even need to do that -- since I'm using the LinuxSampler LV2 plugin, my sampler settings are all stored as part of my Ardour session, and automatically restored when I load that session.

5 - Like composite, iirc, it also lacks the ability to load simple wavs
if thats all you want otherwise you need to mess about converting stuff
to .gig or .sfz first

It does, yes, but the SFZ format is really quite simple. For a simple case of mapping a single sample across the keyboard, something like this should suffice:

<region>
sample=sample.wav
pitch_keycenter=C3
lokey=C1
hikey=C5

You can add all sorts of options to that (envelopes, filters, etc.), but that'll get you started.

Linuxsampler would be good for some use cases if points 1 and 2 didn't
plague it but we still need a simple LV2 sampler that can be easily
redistributed and packaged for people who just want to trigger wav drum
sounds or whatever.

Yep, that would definitely still be handy. For now I'm still using Hydrogen to host any drum sounds that I create (routing each Hydrogen instrument's outputs separately to Ardour), but I may soon start making SFZ files for them instead.

Thanks
Leigh