Re: NoiseMaker LV2 port

On 13/10/11 10:25 PM, allcoms wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:autostatic@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    The guy(s) @ Distrho is/are working on an LV2 wrapper thingy. But
    that's something else than a port of course. Well, just FYI ;)

Hmm! falktx didn't mention this to me. I'm not sure how well this would
work and I think a proper LV2 port would still be for the best.

From what I understand, it is a proper port -- falktx is adding LV2 support to the JUCE framework that the TAL plugins (and many other cross-platform VSTs) use, which should make it possible for them to be built as LV2 plugins.

I'm not exactly sure how the licencing works in all of that, but I do hope that it means that some of these ported plugins can go in to distros; that's definitely one of the biggest downside to native VSTs.

        Before anyone pipes up - linuxsampler is NOT an option. LS and I
        have never
        seen eye to eye nor have I ever got it working properly anyway.
        Its just a
        complicated mess that won't load a simple wav.

        Wish me luck!

    I will, I'd really like a good working simple sampler plug-in too.

Agreed -- something like a plugin version of Specimen (or Petri-Foo) would be very handy. FWIW, though, I've had great success with LinuxSampler as an LV2 plugin within Ardour 3, mostly with SFZ samples. I haven't actually made any of my own SFZ instruments yet, but it's a simple text-based format so it doesn't require any specific tools to work with.

I wrote a (lengthy) article all about LinuxSampler a little while ago -- hopefully it can help to clear up some of the confusion about it:

http://wootangent.net/2011/07/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-linuxsampler/

Thanks
Leigh