Re: Social Media

fred wrote:

Le 06/08/2011 21:55, david a écrit :
Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
On 08/06/2011 07:09 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
  On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

My 2¢: social media don't work for Linux Audio. I think the only thing that does work is good video tutorials, that's really big at the moment, good blogs and decent articles on authorative sites and in printed magazines.

I think you really want to expand your understanding of what social
media is. All of the above except printed magazines is part of it :)

Hello Alexandre,

You're right, I'm confusing social media and social networking services. I meant the latter.

the other things are imho not useful. Twitter, Facebook, Google+ won't work, simply too much dispersion, people don't collaborate on these platforms,
they only click on buttons and leave pointless comments.

That's quite an exxageration.

I know. I've already replied to Rosea where that originates from. Next time I'll keep the whole picture in mind :)

 I do some techsupport for Inkscape, GIMP
and Scribus via Twitter. It's actually useful for helping people solve
simple issues. That's not a direct marketing, but it helps preserving
user base. Of course, one could go beyond that.

I call BS, with the band I convinced the others to ditch Cubase in favor of Qtractor because every rehearsal session we were totally lost again on how
to record a simple track.

You mean you didn't know how to use Cubase? :)

Ha ha, yeah, that's true. We even borrowed a 300 page Cubase book from a friend but still we didn't manage.

Well, for comparison, I once tried to make a simple stereo recording using Ardour, and was completely unable to figure it out. But pro-level software is complex and assumes that its user has a lot of domain-specific knowledge (is an experienced audio engineer). I don't fault the UI for that!

Ardour is a really step above Cubase...

I'm not the one who tried to use Cubase, so I'll take your word for it.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx