Re: Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Aaron Krister Johnson
<aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Paul-
> I'm not sure if what you're saying matters, since the buffer settings, etc.
> were the same between jack and alsa settings in the PianoTeq setup
> dialogs....unless I'm missing something, the /proc directory info you are
> asking me to compare with jackd settings verify that they were the same.

oops, i somehow missed this in the thread. the settings cannot be the
same because PianoTeq doesn't control the JACK settings. just run the
command i mentioned and that will let you see how ALSA gets configured
by PT and then we can compare it with the way JACK does it.

PianoTeq doesn't configure things when jack is running. It just detects and runs with what jack's setting are. However, the *user* configures things when Alsa is running. Things like sr, buffer sizes, and periods. I was comparing apples to apples when I announced my results: for instance, if I set PT to run Alsa @ 256 samples and 2 buffers per period, I also ran jackd with those setting before starting PT.

I'd love your insight into what could have been going on; things seem quite a bit better with jack2 (jackdmp-1.9.7) on my system---and, like I said, all of a sudden weird MIDI stuff that was happening in fluidsynth is now solved, too....I think the fluidsynth thing was actually related to a new codebase in FS since 1.1.2 where they merged the scheduling of MIDI and audio being handled by the same thread, IIRC...could be that the way jack1 in the version I was running was structured caused some unforeseen voodoo.

> P.S. Did you get my email ever about jackctl.py? Not the one in the jack
> source tree, but my CL utility of the same name that I wrote?

yeah, its in the backlog at present. its functionality overlaps quite
a lot of other stuff.

Hmmm....like what, Qjackctl? That's a GUI, this is CL. And the CL tools that currently come with jack do the trick, but with needless typing and lack of ease---that's what my-front end solves. What other CL tools for making jack connections in an *easy* way are there?

AKJÂ

--
Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com