Re: Music made with Linux: "move along"

On 30/04/11 19:12, Julien Claassen wrote:
Hello Leigh!
This is a beautiful little piece and certainly very different from the
one other track I have of yours. :-) I like the composition as such, the
harmonies.
But I think you didn't do your voice good. Too much bass/treble
emphesis. It sounds like this EQ-setup or perhaps it's part of an IR is
much better suited for a bass.

I used just a plain EQ on the vocal, and did take some of the bass out, but I think you're right about having to take out more, and taking out some of the high frequencies, too. I did try taking out more bass, and that worked well on the verses, but it seemed to take too much away from the chorus. I might just have to stop being lazy and set up separate EQs for those different sections of the vocal :)

The bass - especially after 1:min44-45s seems to be very loud, when it
gets too high. When the first note happened directly after the end of
your vocals, I thought it was you singing "mh".

Yep, this is a problem I never quite managed to solve; those higher notes ring out quite loud. I tried some EQ to fix this, and I think it helped, but not enough, so I'll have to look for another way to tackle this.

One last thing, that doesn't sit well with my ears is the drum kit. It
sounds a bit too low. Although if the toms really sound like, what I
heard, then I can understand, that you moved them back that far. Still
due to the soft drums, your voice, that sounds like it is coming from
the wrong kind of - probably - good speakers and the bass mostly being
nice and decent, the piano takes over too much.

I think I was worried about the drums overpowering the piano, but in hindsight that's probably exactly what they should do, to add a bit more dynamic variety.

Another thing it did like, was the background choir at the end. And if I
didn't mention it, the vocals themselves are very good. I didn't notice,
where you used zita-at1. I have a suspicion for one note and one only
and even there, I'm happy to accept that my ears are playing a trick on
me. :-)

I can ruin the mystery for you if you like :) I applied the tuning at the end of the first verse (on "for me to go"), and on the first line of the chorus (on "many years"). I too dislike the sounds of auto-tuned vocals, so I was very impressed with zita-at1's ability to be set up in a way that lets you perform small, specific corrections without affecting the overall sound of the rest of the vocal at all.

Good bit of music, pitty, you didn't do something like that earlier.

It was definitely a learning experience :) I'm not sure yet if I'll make more tracks quite like this one, but I hope I can take some of what I've learned and combine it with my more electronic ideas in future. Thanks for listening!

Thanks
Leigh