Re: Music made with Linux: "move along"

Leigh Dyer wrote:
Hi all,

I've just finished work on a new track -- it's available for download or streaming from my blog and from Bandcamp:

http://wootangent.net/2011/04/new-track-move-along/
http://pneuman.bandcamp.com/track/move-along

If you've heard any of my previous electronic works, this will seem quite different -- it's just piano, bass, drums, and vocals. The instruments are all soft-synths:

* Pianoteq for the piano sound (the K1 Grand)
* Linuxsampler CVS for drums, using an SFZ mapping of the RockStock kit from Analogue Drums
* Fluidsynth-DSSI for the bass, using an SF2 file I dug up online

The parts were all sequenced in Qtractor, and then the audio was recorded in to Ardour 3, along with the vocals, for mixing. I didn't go crazy with plugins while mixing-- just compressors and filters/EQ (all Calf), IR with a Bricasti M7 impulse response for reverb, and Rakarrack with an Ampeg SVT-810 bass cabinet impulse response on the bass. It's meant to sound like a simple, natural performance on real instruments, and for the most part I think it achieves that well enough.

I also used the zita-at1 autotuner to do some subtle pitch correction on the vocals. There were only a couple of notes that really needed correction, so I turned off automatic correction (by disabling all of the notes on the scale in the GUI) and then controlled it from a MIDI track in Ardour, drawing in MIDI notes to trigger the correction just where it was needed.

Thanks
Leigh

Hi Leigh

I don't think I've listened to any of your music before, so I'd no preconceptions or expectations.

I found the vocals rather muddy, indistinct and distant, which is a shame as you have a good voice.

To me, the piece seemed rather flat, lacking in dynamic contour; the sparse instrumentation really didn't help in this regard. The drums were rather quiet and didn't seem to add much energy to the mix at all.

Because the piano pretty much carries the piece I found it got very monotonous, very quickly: the solo towards the end was a welcome relief and the backing vocals were a nice touch but it was too little, too late for me.

Overall, it's pleasant and good, but I feel with some work it could deliver more.

Cheers